Monday, November 5, 2007

Training is done, I am enriched

Well, the training turned out to be no big deal, and we ended up with a pretty decent lunch break. It wasn't the worst training I've ever sat through, and I did learn a few important things:

  • Elvis Presley did "Always on My Mind" long before Willie Nelson did. I didn't know that. Go ahead and laugh.

  • When a lot of acronyms are being thrown around, it's very humorous when someone starts referring to TBS, A&E, and other cable networks to see if anyone notices.

  • It's unwise to plan an outdoor wedding in Vermont in November.

As our last activity, we played a game of "Jeopardy" to prove that we had learned something. My boss's boss asked which of us was going to be Sean Connery. Someone else did a Sean Connery impression. Boss's boss said "I'll take 'penis' for $200, Trebek." One of the categories was "Analysts," which, you guessed it, she pronounced "anal-lists."

It beats playing "hide-the-milton," that's for sure.

In other news, my coworkers tell me I can drive around for five years with the "check engine" light on and nothing will happen. Since mine came on right after I went to the gas station, I'm thinking it probably didn't like the way I put the gas cap back on, or some trivial thing like that. You know, it'd be really nice if that damn thing actually meant something - it comes on at the drop of a hat and can mean just about anything. I'll have someone at Autozone check it out tomorrow.

Useful Spanish of the day
Trebek, voy a tomar "Pene" por $200.
(Trebek, I'll take "Penis" for $200.)

6 comments:

  1. I think is was "Penis Mightier" (pen is mightier) not just "Penis."

    Yeah, get those codes checked oput at autozone. I've never done it, but they say they do it for free. Make sure you call before you go, though. There's a chance only one person knows how to work the thing. I got burned on that a couple of times at Autozone trying to get my battery/ignition tested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was "penis mightier," but she just said "penis." (Won't make any sense translated into Spanish, alas.)

    I've had Autozone check engine codes before, but didn't realize there was a chance that no one there would know how to do it. I'm going to be doing errands in that plaza anyway, so it won't be a wasted trip.

    The engine light seems to be sort of a catch-all for miscellaneous problems, both serious and trivial. Due to the car's youth, the timing of light coming on, and the fact that everything is running normally, I'm not too worried about it. But I'll feel better when someone looks at it.

    (I think it blinks if there's something seriously wrong, but I'm not sure.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I drove a car for years with the check engine light on. As your coworkers said, it can mean a number of things.

    Girl Scout meetings, believe it or not, have a lot of acronyms. My mother started writing them down during our last meeting because it was so ridiculous. (Writing down the acronyms was a self-preservation measure, vs. ripping your lungs out from boredom.) The way the service unit (SU) in GSRI is run, there are something like seven or eight jobs that leaders are supposed to take on in addition to their troop duties, and those are all named with acronyms. "Well if the PC talks to the SUV then..." *gurgle*

    And she kept saying "agender." Over and over and over. I wrote that one down. And "truly."

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to fill one's agender with good idears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check engine can mean a great many things. One of them reflects vapor pressure that can be caused by have a loose gas cap. Or loose morals. Nah. Not really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had that "check engine" thing happening the other day with my Pontiac, did a little internet research, and indeed, had a loose gas cap. Honestly, I'm just thankful to be driving a car that lets me know when something that trivial is wrong, even if it doesn't tell me exactly what. Unlike the Ford I drove that had no transmission fluid and didn't deign to let me know that until the transmission was dead. Or the other Ford I drove that was leaking oil in five different places and let me know that by killing the starter.

    ReplyDelete

Since this blog is pretty close to being dead, I am moderating all comments.