Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Trio Treat

Of all the things in the world to write a blog post about, I don't know why I felt like picking on this defenseless dessert. I guess the unfulfilled promise of a "treat" rubbed me the wrong way. Dr. Oetker's "Trio Treat Layered Gelatin Mix" is not much of a treat.

It's a gelatin mix that you whip in a blender with room-temperature water. You pour half of it into dessert glasses, then you pour the second half. (The slight pause between pourings causes the difference between the layers of "foam" to be more pronounced.) Refrigerate, and the gelatin and foam layers solidify.

One thing I will say in its favor - it's convenient not to have to boil water and stir to dissolve the stuff. On the other hand, I can't imagine being so desperate for gelatin that I couldn't wait for the water to boil. Either way, you still have to refrigerate it.

And if you're going to have to wait a couple of hours anyway, you want the outcome to be worth the wait. I didn't feel that it was.

First, this is definitely more about looks and texture than flavor. The taste of this stuff isn't remotely comparable to Jell-o's. It's vaguely fruity, but when the color of something says "fruit! FRUIT! FRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUIT!!!!!" then you need something that's better than vague.

Second, if you like the texture of solidified foam, you might still find something to enjoy here, but if not, then not. Imagine cheap ice cream that has half-melted and then been refrozen. It was sort of like that.

Third, if you want neat-looking gelatin, you have much more appealing options - like making regular gelatin with fruit in it, or some alternative liquid like red wine, or creative layering with two flavors (tilt the glass while the first layer hardens - woooooo!!!), or... I don't know... something clever with Cool Hoowhip... or just get better-looking dessert glasses.

5 comments:

  1. Well, I will never buy "Trio Treat!" Thanks for the warning!

    OTOH, I only eat jello before a colonoscopy, so you can see that my opinion of it isn't too high to begin with. :-)

    My mom used to make orange jello with shaved carrots in it, and I actually like that. I wouldn't go out of my way to make it, but I wouldn't push it off the table. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love peach Jell-o, and it does annoy me sometimes that you have to think ahead and make it beforehand.

    Yet I have no problem with 20 hour bread.

    Thanks for the warning. I would have wanted to try it, too. But I'd rather just dump some mandarin oranges into peach Jell-o.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe it or not, I've been thinking about making coffee jello for a while. I've got the unflavored gelatin. I've got the coffee. I just haven't run out of more interesting things to do yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back in the 70s, Jello had a three layer treat called Jello 1-2-3. It was the bomb. There are petitions on the web to get Kraft Foods to bring it back. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jello 1-2-3 probably tasted good. :-)

    I bet the demand for its reintroduction is what inspired the Trio Treat, though!

    There's a recipe for a "Jello 1-2-3" on the Kraft Foods website, but it's not the 1-2-3. It involves Cool Whip.

    ReplyDelete

Since this blog is pretty close to being dead, I am moderating all comments.