Monday, September 8, 2008

Cereal Review and Unrelated PSA

Some so-called "product reviews" are nothing more than an expression of a blogger's desire to mock and ridicule something they don't like.

This is that kind of review.

My mother got me a box of Hearty Morning cereal by Cascadian Farm in the mistaken belief that it was a granola cereal. It does have some "granola clusters," but they're lost among the whole wheat flakes. (I hate wheat flakes.)

Overall, the texture of this cereal is awful if you get it wet. Like I said, there isn't enough granola here to save the day. The typical wheat flakes get very soggy very fast; but the fiber holds them together, which means that you have to chew them even though they're already mush.

The "crunchy bran strands" are a joke - they're not particularly crunchy even when they're dry. They look intriguing in the picture, though.

The cereal's flavor is better if you eat it dry, too. The very light sweetening doesn't survive the milk bath. I hear some people eat cold cereal in apple juice or something similar, instead of milk - that might have better flavor too, but since I need my cold cereal to be a delivery system for milk, and I can't stand soggy flakes no matter what they're soaked in, I'll pass.

I like how there's a yellow banner at the bottom front of the box:

Heart-Healthy diets rich in grain products with soluble fiber like
Hearty Morning May Lower Cholesterol

LOL. There's even more explanatory text underneath, further describing the combination of dietary factors that "may reduce the risk" of heart disease.

Cascadian Farm has a whole line of organic food products, many of them fruit-related, that look a lot more appealing. But I couldn't bring myself to eat another bowlful of this cereal. Much as I hate throwing food away, especially with the irony that organic farming techniques are supposed to be less bad for the environment, this stuff has got to go.

And now, an unrelated public service announcement in Squigglevision:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this blog is pretty close to being dead, I am moderating all comments.