Thursday, November 15, 2007

Random thoughts of the day

I usually spend Thursdays in the office, which makes for a really long day, especially since I have additional blogging duties on Thursdays (today's posts aren't up yet). I got home later than usual tonight, so these feeble offerings will have to do:

Astro Boy (60s version)

I saw this weird cartoon today for the first time. It's on the Cartoon Network (technically Adult Swim) at 5:30 AM, if you have the misfortune to be up so early.

Astro Boy was the first "anime" to be broadcast outside Japan. (I really feel the need to put it in quotes because it's so different from the contemporary stuff.) I don't like most anime, but I wanted to see Astro Boy at least once to get a better idea of where the genre got started in the US. I probably would have liked it more as a kid. I'm pretty sure the only reason I like Speed Racer now is because I saw it (intermittently) when I was a kid. All these years later, I can still watch it through preteen eyes. I don't have that advantage with Astro Boy.

I don't see myself getting up needlessly early or missing my favorite train to watch it again, and if I were to tape it I'm pretty sure I'd never find time to play it back. Nevertheless, I'm glad I watched it. For a few minutes there in the groggy gloom, I felt like I'd gone back in time. I love that feeling.

Bonus cracker information

For years I've seen these "Chicken in a Biskit" crackers at the store. (Evidently, they are more popular overseas.) Morbid curiosity finally won out and I bought some. My observations:
  • Although they are baked, they're greasy enough to have been fried.
  • Although they do contain chicken, they don't taste much like it.
  • Although they don't taste so bad as to be inedible, I'm not sure I care to finish what's in the box. Maybe they're better in soup (they'll probably melt as soon as they hit the water).
Useful Spanish of the day

A few days ago (or maybe weeks... I don't remember) I claimed that "tequila" is masculine. In fact, it's both masculine and feminine. Unusual, but it explains a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Since this blog is pretty close to being dead, I am moderating all comments.